Friday, May 16, 2008

Bellagio East

So, it would seem that whomever did the Bellagio in Vegas then came to Indiana and did the new wing of Crosspoints Hospital North.  Seriously, this is a swanky facility.  The lobby is very open and sunny, and has a glass sculpture hanging from the ceiling in much the same vein as the one in the Bellagio lobby.  No chocolate fountain though, and the cafeteria was pretty hospital foody.  But there is a Starbucks in the lobby.  Not just SBUX coffee in the cafeteria, an actual whole Starbucks contained within the lobby.  Just past the player piano.  Yep.

In Gary's wing, there's a little courtyard with bamboo in it.  It appears all the rooms are singles.  With stone tiles in the bathrooms.  And wireless access.  He has a couch which converts into a bed, although I found it pretty comfortable to lie on without folding the back cushions down to make it totally flat.  I'm sure my mother will be impressed, after having spent untold nights curled up awkwardly in chairs in hospitals.

Gary looks pretty good for a guy that had 40% of his colon removed less than 48 hours ago.  It hurts, though.  Read yesterday's post for ideas on how to avoid having 40% of your colon removed.  He's up and walking as instructed by his nurse, who told me that Gary does everything she asks him to.  The staff seem pretty great, very patient with my questions and responsive when I come to tell them that his IV pole gizmo is beeping again.  Gary points out that they have a systems problem if this thing beeps and doesn't mean anything or the nurses and their assistants ignore it in front of the patient.  I pointed out that if he designs a better system he could market it quite successfully.  He did not appear interested, almost as though he were busy with something else.  Go figure.

Steak n' Shake for dinner.  Ew.  Steak n' Shake is to the Midwest what In and Out is to California.  That should be on the SAT... anyway don't get the mushroom burger.  Ew.  Actually it was probably just fine and I'm just not used to eating that sort of food anymore.  The fries were good though.  I think I'll cook tomorrow even if Pat wants us to pick her up some Steak n' Shake.  I don't mind if people won't eat my food if I know to expect as much.  I do mind eating fast food for dinner.  Ew.  This is the French part of my heritage, I think, or perhaps just how I was raised, but I really can't do fast food.  Apart from an approximately bi-annual craving for a milkshake and fries.  It's kind of like, let's take all the actual nutrition out of this food and then grease it up a bit, and then sell it.  Ugh.  I need some whole grain... anything, I think.  Seriously, I can just hear my intestines plugging up with white starch.  I got some fresh fruit at the grocery store though, that ought to help.  Maybe I can find some steel-cut oatmeal somewhere.  This is the swanky suburb part of Indianapolis so there ought to be a foofy grocery store nearby.  There's a foofy water fountain store.  Like, for your yard, not to drink out of.  Looks terribly useful.

Tomorrow the Geist Half Marathon will run, walk, and hobble right past our front door.  I hope to be awake in time to see it although this may be optimistic seeing as we are towards the beginning of the route and they start at some "we're runners so we're crazy" time like 7 a.m.  My gimpy knee is aching in response to this paragraph.  But anyway it seems like fun to get some tea and sit on the porch in my jammies watching the athletic people zoom by.  Hee hee.

I thank you all for your prayers and kind words on Gary's behalf.  Keep up the good work, and let me know when I may return the favor.  I hope it goes unneeded for a long time for you all.

No comments: