Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tuna Casserole, Electoral Politics, and Cancer Stages

Today Gary seems in good spirits.  He liked the tuna casserole Pat chose for our dinner (Matt and I cooked it but she thought it up and thought to use fancier mushrooms).  I kinda liked it too, although I'm a little embarrassed to admit it.  If I was making it at home I'd use whole wheat noodles and yogurt instead of sour cream, but that would defeat the point of the low-fiber diet.  We did winkle some information out of the nurse at the surgeon's office, and just as he warned us, we didn't really understand it.  Gary spent most of the day on the internet and the phone investigating further.  It's useful to have retired from a large pharmaceutical company and have a bunch of buddies who are oncologists and pathologists and the like.  The appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow, and Matt and Pat [side note - Pat said if she had it to do over she'd never name a kid something that sounded so similar to her own name when shouted across the house] will go with him.  I'm going home to attend to the cats and the job and whatnot.  Matt insists that this is fine, and I suspect that we've got a week or few of appointments and consultations ahead of us before we really know what is going on.  So we're probably better served to save vacation days and co-worker goodwill for smaller, more frequent visits than to try to stay a long time now.

At the moment, Matt and I are sitting in Gary's study with him, fiddling on laptops while he talks on the phone and watches the election returns.  Pat has turned in for the night.  Gary is on the phone, and I've heard him say several times how much better he feels than he did during those days at the hospital.  A good night's sleep and the ability to get up and putter about to his little heart's content have done him a world of good.  He really seems much like our old Gary at the moment.  I suspect all Kaisers of doing a brave face, stiff upper lip thing a bit at present, so I will refrain from making strong assertions as to how they are really doing, but everyone is being upbeat and productive and trying to look forward with cautious optimism, I think.  Pat has won yet more of my undying gratitude by dragging my hubby out to get a haircut.

Meanwhile we have debated whether or not it is "news" that Kentucky didn't elect a man of color as their presidential candidate.  Some pundit asserted that Obama should have fought harder for that state, to which I snorted.  I think his team is too smart to waste their time and money in such a way.  Not that I begrudge Senator Clinton a single vote.  I'm delighted to have her as a viable presidential candidate.  I'm just much more excited about Senator Obama.  I coined a little phrase for Obama's team to try to court the white boomer female vote.  "Tell your mama to vote for Obama!"  Of course my mama voted weeks ago, and promises to vote Democratic in the fall.  We here at Chez Kaiser are debating whether America is ready for an Obama/Clinton ticket in the fall.  WE are, here in this little enclave.  We're not sure if the nation is.  Rather, *I* am not sure the nation is.  The Kaisers who have held the name longer than me seem more optimistic.  And Sunny the cocker spaniel is wisely remaining neutral on the issue.

Taking Gary home from the hospital yesterday we had the opportunity to make way for ducklings, being led across the road by mama duck.  Pretty cute, all fuzzy and waddly.

Cancer avoidance tip of the day: less red meat.  Again I assert that I am not a hippie.  I love a good steak.  Particularly with some blue cheese on it.  MMMMmmm.  But we eat way too much of the stuff here in the good old U S of A.  So try some fish, tofu, beans, good stuff like that.  Make your beef stews with more veggies than meat - remember how much vegetables cook down and use way more than you think you want.  Yes, we need protein, but you can get it lots of places.  Nuts, whole grains, and beans (pinto, kidney, navy, chickpea...) are full of good protein.  And if you totally don't cook, just think of these same things when you are ordering your takeout or whatever.  And learn to cook.  Really.  So good for you, saves money...  Okay, mission creep, sorry.

Be good and take care of one another.

No comments: